Saturday I will be travelling to New York for a long weekend and as with all travel I have to consider (and limit) what I will be taking with me. Below is a brief overview of my loadout for this trip.
1. A notebook - in this case I will have the regular Midori Travelers Notebook (MTN) as my travel companion. I have created some lists in preparation for my trip breaking down the different areas in New York and noting down all the things I want to do. I will use the MTN to collect notes and ephemera to later add into a dedicated refill. I have three refills included in my Travelers Notebook, the 001 Lined Notebook, 012 Sketch Paper refill and the 020 Kraft File.
2. Nock Co Lookout - a few travel essential pens will be stored in my Nock Co Lookout. I will be taking one fountain pen, the Lamy AL Star, on this trip. Alongside that I will have the Pilot Coleto and the Caran d’Ache mechanical pencil.
3. Glif - I may not have a real use for this, however it is a useful stand and mount for the iPhone. Plus it’s so small I can easily add this into the loadout kit.
4. GoPro Hero 3+ - this will be my point and shoot camera. I am not the best GoPro photographer but I think this is a great travel companion due to its size, plus it saves me rinsing my iPhone battery on lots of photos. I have the LCD screen attached to the GoPro to make sure I capture everything I intend to.
5. Canon 500D SLR - for attempts at some more serious photos.
5. Hobonichi Techo - for obvious reasons. See here and here.
6. Pioneer headphones - essential carry on item during the flight. Noise cancelling headphones are a must to drown out the airplane white noise and to actually hear the in-flight film.
7. A book - I opt for old fashioned paper books. I am not planning on getting too much reading done during my visit so my Kindle is not required on this trip.
8. Herschel Supply Company medium pouch - odds, ends and cabels will get thrown in here making everything easier to find in my bag.
I will use this trip to figure out what is redundant in my travel loadout and what I may be missing. I am always interested to hear what others consider as travel essentials, so please leave a comment below if you have any recommendations for me.